DNC - Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DNC - Design 'N' Create - is an amature game designing group based in South Africa. The three founders - Dillon Theodore, Ntsikelelo Mnsitshana and Charl-André Fourie - are all big time teen gamers. Here, we will be discussing the fate of DNC.

HomePortalLook, another IDEA! T4zad2Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Ubisoft "Likes" Proposed LastLight Franchise
Look, another IDEA! EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 2:47 pm by DNC - DudeMan
You heard right! After a quick interview-like thingy between Matt and I using a simple IM, it turns out that DNC may actually have a chance of landing our first contract! And with Ubisoft!

Here follows quoted snippets of our discussion:

Quote :
MarterMatt125: DudeMan. Uppon reading DNC's plans, I must admit that I am greatly impressed. It's not every day we get something like this from someone of …

[ Full reading ]
Comments: 4
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Poll
Do you think we've done reasonably well in our first year?
Definately! You came up with the coolest games and the site rocks! ^^
Look, another IDEA! I_vote_lcap57%Look, another IDEA! I_vote_rcap
 57% [ 4 ]
Sure. You managed a fair amount. You could definately have done worse. ;)
Look, another IDEA! I_vote_lcap14%Look, another IDEA! I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Kinda maby. You could've done more, but what you managed is ok. :
Look, another IDEA! I_vote_lcap29%Look, another IDEA! I_vote_rcap
 29% [ 2 ]
Not really. I really think you could've done more. You still haven't chosen a theme song. :(
Look, another IDEA! I_vote_lcap0%Look, another IDEA! I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Not at all. You really let us down. You still haven't completed any of the games and the site's as dull as ever. ><
Look, another IDEA! I_vote_lcap0%Look, another IDEA! I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7
Latest topics
» The Chat Box
Look, another IDEA! EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 11:20 am by DNC - DudeMan

» DNC's Game Priorities
Look, another IDEA! EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 1:29 pm by DNC - DudeMan

» Darkrise Character Listing
Look, another IDEA! EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 4:09 pm by DNC - DudeMan

» awsome music
Look, another IDEA! EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 12:38 am by Kironi68

» game idea
Look, another IDEA! EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:15 pm by DNC - DudeMan

» Quick question... "Stamina" or "Will"?
Look, another IDEA! EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 4:13 pm by DNC - DudeMan

» Look, another IDEA!
Look, another IDEA! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:23 pm by DNC - DudeMan

» Let's Sort Our Smilies!
Look, another IDEA! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 6:52 pm by DNC - DudeMan

» Lee's Crazy Idea
Look, another IDEA! EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 9:39 pm by DNC - DudeMan

Top posters
DNC - DudeMan
Look, another IDEA! I_vote_lcapLook, another IDEA! I_voting_barLook, another IDEA! I_vote_rcap 
DNC - Osaka
Look, another IDEA! I_vote_lcapLook, another IDEA! I_voting_barLook, another IDEA! I_vote_rcap 
Quisakal
leestriter
Kironi68
DNC - Subatomic
dsmiles
DNC - Banzai
DNC - KingN
Balufire
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Look, another IDEA!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dsmiles

Post Points : 5018

Look, another IDEA! Empty
PostSubject: Look, another IDEA!   Look, another IDEA! EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 3:58 pm

You know, I'm getting fed up with PvP MMOs. I didn't get my all the way up to level five bazillion just so some guy (or girl, I'm an equal opportunity hater) could come up and kill me to get my stuff. How about a game that has OPTIONAL MMO capabilities, but has all the sandboxy properties of an MMO.

I kind of envision a dark horror-themed steampunk world with game mechanics that kind of function like the DnD 4e "powers" system. At each level you would gain SOMETHING. That something could be a stat boost, a skill boost, a trait, an attack ability, a utility ability, etc. And the character creator should be somewhere in the neighborhood of NWN. Pick a "race," pick a "class," assign your stats through a point-buy system, ect.

P.S.: Thanks DNC! There's finally a sounding board for my ideas. Smile
Back to top Go down
DNC - DudeMan
>>DNC Crew<<
>>DNC Crew
DNC - DudeMan

Scorpio Posts : 270
Post Points : 5480

Last Light Character
Name: Zane Korahn
Age (True): 17
Race: [R] Hybrid

PostSubject: Re: Look, another IDEA!   Look, another IDEA! EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 6:50 pm

If you only knew what the Last Light MMO is like, I think you'll find the reason for your PvP MMO hatred would have expired... Smile

Anywho, please elaborate on your idea. A dark horror-themed steampunk world with game mechanics that kind of function like the DnD 4e "powers" system sounds fairly cool. Wink
Back to top Go down
https://dnconline.forumotion.com
dsmiles

PostSubject: Re: Look, another IDEA!   Look, another IDEA! EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 7:53 pm

Well, I'm sure that, as a gamer, you know what steampunk settings are like. But for the unenlightened who may read this...
Spoiler:

Now, thinking about this, H.P. Lovecraft's stories take place mostly in the late 1800s and early 1900s...right around the same time as steampunk fiction. I've been working on a DnD campaign setting that revolves around this very fact. Wheel-lock and flintlock rifles/pistols/lbunderbusses are available, along with gunpowder-fueled siege weaponry (i.e., cannons). I had to fudge the timeline for the weapons a little, as post-American Civil War firearms were a little more advanced than I wanted players to have access to.

Now, imagine the possibilities...ancient magic, steam technology, firearms, CTHULHU! (Ia!Ia!) The players are surrounded by this horrific fantasy world, on an epic quest to stop the Elder Gods from eating the universe (cliched, but then again most games have a "save the world" or a "blow each other up" plot, IMO). I feel like steampunk and H.P. Lovecraft go hand in hand. Dark, Victorian-era architecture, fog filled alleyways with refracted moonlight being your only source of illumination, etc.

As for 4th edition DnD mechanics...that may be a little harder for me to explain.

I don't know if you've ever played DnD before (so if I offend you, I apologize in advance), but the way it used to be, players would get a number of attacks per "round." and pretty much, all of those attacks would be the same (as in: I attack with my sword, I hit, I damage, wash, rinse, repeat).
Spoiler:

Basically, this is a suspense-game full of anticipated horror. Music would be essential to getting the horror of the setting across. Maybe you see Cthulhu (Ia! Ia!), maybe you don't. There is a "Call of Cthulhu" tabletop RPG that really only has two outcomes. Your character either: a) dies, or b) goes insane. I'm sure that for a video game, there would have to be: c) wins (and maybe even: d) wins AND goes insane).

Plus, you have all this great-looking steampunk gear, Victorian-era clothing, amazing architecture, and possibly enough "side-quests" to make the world seem like a sandbox-type game (without online MMO play). Also, MMO play wouldn't be required, but (just like in the CoC TTRPG) there IS safety in numbers.

That took a lot out of me. I have a ton of ideas, I just need to get out my sketchbook and notepad and put everything on paper. I'm at work on lmy lunch break right now, and don't have any access to anything that I've already written (except in my head).

And so, I leave you (as my lunch break is nearly over) with a final thought. "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
Back to top Go down
DNC - DudeMan
>>DNC Crew<<
>>DNC Crew
DNC - DudeMan

Last Light Character

PostSubject: Re: Look, another IDEA!   Look, another IDEA! EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 9:52 pm

I did not get your final thought. ( Lol )

Anywho, I really like the idea, but does it really require round-based fighting? You may be saddened by the following statement, but having played many of the Final Fantasy games, mainly the only thing that put Subatomic, KingN and I off was the round based gameplay, where the player would attack, then the enemy would attack, then the player would attack again, etc. It just doesn't seem realistic and is (frankley) quite annoying.

Unless, of caurse, I misunderstand your meaning, as I haven't yet played DnD. Mind suplying a link? Smile
Back to top Go down
dsmiles

PostSubject: Re: Look, another IDEA!   Look, another IDEA! EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Here's the link to the DnD Website.

I may not have been clear on the actual implementation of the combat. I don't think turn-based combat is the answer for video games, but it's the only thing that works in tabletop games. As far as gameplay style goes, I kind of see this as being closer to Morrowind and Oblivion than to Final Fantasy or Diablo. FF and Diablo don't get the setting across, but the Elder scrolls series does it very well, and both dark horror and steampunk are very visual types of settings.

And here's what my last thought means.
Back to top Go down
DNC - DudeMan
>>DNC Crew<<
>>DNC Crew
DNC - DudeMan

Last Light Character

PostSubject: Re: Look, another IDEA!   Look, another IDEA! EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 10:49 pm

^^

I followed the links. Lol. I didn't realise "DnD" was "Dungeons and Dragons". Lol. Of caurse I've played it! XD

And yeah, I totally aggree with a Steampunk theme. I must admit that style's got a spot in my heart. Let there be chill..
Back to top Go down
dsmiles

PostSubject: Re: Look, another IDEA!   Look, another IDEA! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 3:56 pm

First: Remember that this is supposed to be a Dark game. (Probably rated M(17+) in America!)
I see our hero as being an ex-military officer, failed and suffering from PTSD and clinical depression. He is addicted to opiates (which over the course of the game, he will work off the addiction, going through detoxification symptoms). He has taken to doing small jobs to make money to supply his habit. This job will turn out bigger than he expects.
Ok, so, starting at the opening credits. I can see the credits fading in and out wile the opening movie plays. The opening movie is a series of flashbacks of the hero's military career.
It's war, and there's bullets flying, airships flying, and people dying.
*FLASH*
It's the present, and out hero opens his eyes and looks at the clock it's 1AM.
*FLASH*
The hero is in a hospital, getting presented some sort of medal for valor.
*FLASH*
It's war, and the hero is seeing his friends head get blown to pieces by a mortar.
*FLASH*
It's the present, and the hero is wide awake, sweating and shaking.
*FLASH*
It's war and the hero is commanding troops in a losing battle. He is watching his men die.
*FLASH*
It's the present, and the hero is loading his revolver.
*FLASH*
It's after the battle, and the hero is looking over the remains of his men. The battle was won, but at what cost?
*FLASH*
The hero has the revolver in his hands, studying the "eye" in the barrel of the gun.
*FLASH*
The hero is again in the hospital, this time handcuffed to the bed so he can't hurt himself.
*FLASH*
It's the present again, and a loud *KNOCK* sounds at his door and startles him. He holds the revolver behind his back as he answers the door. It is a young lady, asking for the hero. She says she has a job for him. A small job. Just deliver this package to my (father/uncle/grandfather/older brother). Sounds easy. She gives him directions and/or a small strip map to get there, and the package, let's not forget that.

The "prelude" is actually the job, and the tutorial. It takes you through the movement controls, some muggers jump out and you get to shoot them, etc. Let's not focus too much on that.

You get to the place where you are supposed to deliver the package, only, nobody's home. You go back home (it's not a long walk, but it was night and she didn't want to get mugged trying to deliver the package), and decide to try again tomorrow. Tomorrow comes, and your detox starts. You're a little shaky and uncoordinated (increase mouse sensitivity for looking and aiming).

Oh...9AM time to actually start working...more to follow, but I'm pretty sure you can see where I'm going with this.
Back to top Go down
DNC - DudeMan
>>DNC Crew<<
>>DNC Crew
DNC - DudeMan

Last Light Character

PostSubject: Re: Look, another IDEA!   Look, another IDEA! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Yeah, I can. Smile
Back to top Go down
dsmiles

PostSubject: Re: Look, another IDEA!   Look, another IDEA! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Back.

Detox symptoms sometimes (depending on the drug) include hallucinations. But are they really hallucinations? Unseen monstrosities in your peripherals, noises that you're sure aren't there, a palpable sense of dread, the shadow of somebody seen over your shoulder, but when you turn around there is nobody there, etc. All of these things may happen while you try a second time to deliver the package (and fail). You relate to your client that you can't seem to find the (insert relative here), and do you want me to leave the package at the residence?

She says no, and asks you to find the (relative). She is willing to pay extra (and by this time, you are really beginning to feel the DTs), and since money and a pretty face are involved, you can't resist (but may ask for a little money up front). So you've become a private investigator, and start to investigate. Various clues start to turn up, and all seem to point to a horrifying conclusion. The (relative) disappeared, most likely due to dabbling in the dark arts. Since you were paid to find him, and you are still a relatively decent human being (despite being a drug addict) you take the ethical high ground and continue the search, even though you are very afraid of what you may find. Over the course of many "levels," you manage to assemble enough clues to find the missing (relative). You hallucinations become less and less figments of your imagination, and more and more real horrors that you have to deal with (sometimes with your revolver/other weapons, sometimes through running the heck away). Eventually, the story climaxes in a frenzied attack on the supernatural entities that have abducted (possible killed and replaced) the (relative).

I'm not a writer (except for my own personal DnD setting, but this is kind of a basic plot synopsis. I'm not actually a game designer, so I don't actually know much about mechanics. I'm also not a marketing executive, so I don't even know if this stuff would sell. Personally, this is a game that I would be interested in playing, probably more than once, especially if you can choose between different character archetypes or select different abilities at each level. Those generally make for near infinite re-play-ability in my opinion.

I sincerely hope that you guys can take the ball and run with it.
Back to top Go down
DNC - DudeMan
>>DNC Crew<<
>>DNC Crew
DNC - DudeMan

Last Light Character

PostSubject: Re: Look, another IDEA!   Look, another IDEA! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Love it. Leave the rest to us. Smile

Note: Infinite re-playability games are usually more sand box-ish gamse where you create your own character and such. I think your game is more of a straight completion kinda game. Perhaps it could have a branching storyline, like in Infamous, but not really the kinda thing players may want to replay. Trust me, though, straight completion-type games are verry popular where I come from. Heck, games are lent out and borrowed like trading cards!
Back to top Go down
dsmiles

PostSubject: Re: Look, another IDEA!   Look, another IDEA! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Let's just say that re-play-ability for me lies mostly with the plot. I've finished F.E.A.R three times, and that's just a FPS.
Back to top Go down
DNC - DudeMan
>>DNC Crew<<
>>DNC Crew
DNC - DudeMan

Last Light Character

PostSubject: Re: Look, another IDEA!   Look, another IDEA! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Whatever you like. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Look, another IDEA!   Look, another IDEA! Empty

Back to top Go down

Look, another IDEA!
Page 1 of 1